Monday, March 12, 2012

Nature's Shower


And the rain rain rain came down down down......

DAY THIRTY-FOUR
(MONDAY) 
Today was one of those bad days turned good. The rain has been pouring down relentlessly for the last few days, turning roads into rivers and fields into lakes. For Kings class this morning we all sat huddled in a wet little circle while our teacher had to shout to be heard above the rain. The conditions are far from ideal right now, but we are pressing onward. 

In fact, today's motto soon became: "When life gives you rain, play in it!" We decided that instead of lamenting over the fact that all our possessions were getting damp and it would be impossible to stay dry ourselves, we would go out and enjoy the water and mud. It was one of the most fun things I've done in a long time! 



DAY THIRTY-FIVE
Meals and classes are canceled for today. Families from the church have been giving us refuge from the storm, and it's been such a blessed time of fellowship and just being able to stay dry! I've been staying with the Chastain family - they are so much fun and have just shown me so much kindness and hospitality. 


DAY THIRTY-SIX
Weather is still looking a bit sketchy, but classes are resuming and God is faithful. 
DAY THIRTY-NINE
It was raining a lot yesterday so I was able to return to the Chastain house and enjoy some more fellowship and dryness! If anything, the bad weather has actually been a blessing because it's allowed me to not only get more homework done, but also be able to build some great relationships with the people who are sheltering me from the elements. I feel so incredibly blessed, and I have awesome news: The Chastain family has decided to officially hanai me! This means I'll be their adopted daughter for the semester! I am so stoked! Jesus is so awesome. 

Mara, my Hanai Sister!

The rain made a beautiful waterfall for us all to enjoy!
DAY FOURTY
Tonight I got to go to the KEO homeless shelter in Lihue with some of the other students in our Christian service class, and I don't even know where to begin! Basically tonight changed my life. It's so cool how God works out things so perfectly. Here I was, just expecting to take a meal to some less-fortunate people and visit with them, and then WHAM - God hits me with a blessing and lets me meet Karen. 

Karen is a 60-year old black woman from Kansas City Missouri. Tonight she shared with me the story of how Jesus changed her life. Her words were filled with such passion and confidence...I felt like I was falling in love with Jesus for the first time all over again! I never want to forget how she relayed, in detail, the people that God placed in her life before she became a Christian who showed her what it looked like to be changed by God, and how God has been so faithful to see her through life's hardships after she placed her faith and trust in Him as her savior. All that she shared was a direct answer to prayer for me. It's funny, I left expecting to minister and ended up being ministered to! 

I am so thankful for Karen. I thank the Lord for her story of God's power and God's hope that truly changes lives. I know it changed mine. 

DAY FOURTY-ONE
The sun is out today! Still a few light showers, but praise the Lord that we can see the sun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment